The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Said I Wasn't Going to Do It Any More

Well, I broke down. I have a fairly big library of Civil War books and I said to myself after I retired from teaching about three years ago that I wasn't going to buy any more, or at LEAST until I read what i had.

I broke down and did it.

This past month, I bought two more Civil War books at Half-Price Books in Arlington Heights. My excuse is that both were $5 apiece and both were on the naval aspects of the war. That's my excuse, anyway.

Both were by Jack D. Coombe and dealing with naval actions in the west, along the Mississippi River and Gulf Coasts.

"Thunder Along the Mississippi: The River battles That Split the Confederacy" dealt with the river ironclads, actions at fort Henry and Donelson, capture New Orleans, Vicksburg, and Red River. This was hardbound---for $5. Good Deal.

"Gunfire Around the Gulf:The Last Major Naval Campaigns of the Civil War" deals with the attack on New Orleans, Galveston, and Mobile. Since we went around the forts at Mobile in 2008, I'm especially interested in this one.

I'll be an expert on actions in these waters by the time I finish these two books, IF I FINISH THESE TWO BOOKS!!!

Set Me Down and Start Me to Reading. --Old B-Runner