The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Esrom Morse and USS Columbia

There was an article in the Jan. 3, 2010, Scranton Times-Tribune about Civil War collector Frank Mroczka's book on that subject.

It mentions that he has the sword of Esrom Morse, a Union Naval officer who helped save the lives of 45 shipmates on the USS Columbia.

I looked it up, but couldn't find much.

There was a 50-gun 1836 frigate named the USS Columbia that was scuttled and burned April 21, 1861, to prevent capture by Confederates at Norfolk Navy Yard. But this is unlikely the one in question.

There was another USS Columbia, a 503 ton, 168 foot long, 25 foot beam blockade-runner captured by the USS Santiago de Cuba running the blockade off Florida. It was purchased by the Navy at Key West in November, 1862, and outfitted as a naval ship at the New York Navy Yard and commissioned in December under the command of Acting Volunteer Lt. J. P. Couthouy.

It was sent to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron at Wilmington, NC, where it ran aground off Masonboro Inlet and became a wreck January 14, 1863, a very short Naval career. It's commander and 40 men were captured by Confederates.

I came across no mention of Esrom Morse. I'll do some research.

Interesting Story. --Old B-R

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello and good day. I came across your article on Esrome Morse and wish to thank you for your interest in the Columbia and for comments on my book in general. Additional information on the Columbia, including detailed accounts of its demise, including Esrom Morse's role in the conflict, is set forth in the Official Records of the Union & Confederate Navies, Series I, Volume 8, pages 422 to 437. The sword itself originated from my friends at The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg. If I can be of any further assistance, or if you would like to chat in general, please feel free to contact me at www.civilwarcollect.com. I hope this message finds your New Year well. Respectfully, Frank D. Mroczka.

Unknown said...

Oh, type in Google Esrom Morse and Columbia and you will find the ORs containing some parts of the story there--thought this might help :)

My best regards, Frank.

RoadDog said...

Thanks for the information. I have the complete ORN set and I did look it up on Google and found it.

Since I am very interested in Wilmington, Fort Fisher and the Blockade, I will read up on it and enter it in the blog.

It is interesting that some of the crew escaped and the rest were captured.

That is one interesting sword.