The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Problem with Masonary Forts: You'd Think I Would Be Able to Spell Masonry

Here I am at 60, and I just came across a word I have been spelling incorrectly all these years. I would have sworn it was spelled masonary. And I have a deep interest in the pre-and-post Civil War masonry forts along the US coast. But a spell-check of the last post about Fort Monroe shows the word is spelled masonry.

It's like the scotch and clipper ship called the Cutty Sark which I was sure was spelled Cutty Shark. And then there was Niagra Falls, as I would spell it. And I was sure of it. I even went to the place twice and it was still Niagra, until one of my students said that I had misspelled it in some lesson I was teaching. We got into a discussion about it and I looked it up...and the student was the teacher's master.

I must learn to eat grasshopper.

So, education is an ongoing thing.

Congradulations!!


Well, that was how I spelled that word on the Great Sign of the Wheeling Northbrook Holiday Inn in Illinois until somebody pulled over off River Road and said I hadn't spelled it correctly. Supposed to be "Congratulations!" As in "T" not "D."

Learn Something Every Day, I always Say. --Old B-Runner

No comments: