The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

145th Anniversary Battle of Bentonville, Good, But...

I'd have to say that the North Carolina Bentonville Battlefield Historic Site has a good thing going, but definitely needs to improve several aspects of the re-enactment.

My brother and I drove the 24 miles from Goldsboro on one of the narrowest roads I can ever remember being on.

Parking was free and I thought we'd have to pay the $10 before entering the area, but didn't have to.

We immediately saw a long line of Confederate soldiers, more than I had ever seen at Lake Villa and Wauconda in Illinois. I'm not sure why they were mustered as the battle still didn't begin for another four hours.

Then we had a sutlers area where you could satisfy most any Civil War fanatic or re-enactors' fondest desires. There were easily twenty there, many more than at the Illinois sites.

I especially liked one place that had all sorts of flags, books and Civil War art. Not wanting to have to carry the stuff the rest of the afternoon, I was hoping they would still be there when we left.

Next door was a sutler who had small North Carolina state flags from the war with the date the state entered the Union and when it seceded (or possibly joined the Confederacy).

More to Come. --Old B-Runner

No comments: