The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

145th Anniversary Battle of Bentonville, Good, But...Part 4

MEETING THE SUV, WELL SUVCW ACTUALLY

Strangely enough, we always have Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) representation at the Civil War re-enactments in Lake Villa and Wauconda, Illinois, in the form of my Camp Douglas Camp (representing the Chicagoland area). However, even being in the north, I have never seen our counterpart organization, the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW).

At Bentonville, it was the other way around. The SUVCW was present, but no SCV. You'd have to think that being in a hot bed of Confederation, we'd have a big representation (and considering that Union re-enactors were outnumbered almost 2-1).

I believe they were from Camp George Thomas. I told them I knew how it was operating behind enemy lines and talked quite a bit with one member who had done extensive research on a Union officer who had returned to North Carolina after the war and become quite an important citizen of Fayetteville. I wish I could remember what the name of the man was.

I think there was some sort of a problem between the state and the SCV over the General Joseph Johnston statue which I will write about later.

The Battle. --Old B-Runner

No comments: