The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Rafael Repeater-- Part 1

In my Civil War Navy blog, I wrote about President Lincoln going to the Washington Navy Yard this date to witness the testing of a new weapon on this date, August 7th, 1862, 150 years ago.  Secretaries Seward and Stanton accompanied him and Navy man Dahlgren ran the tests.

This was to be more of an Army weapon than Navy had if been put into production, so, I am writing about it in this blog.

I did some more research and in one place saw that the Rafael repeating cannon was impractical and did not see common use, but Lincoln was known for being very keen on mechanical marvels of any sort.

I found quite a bit of information in Wikipedia in a biography on James Richard Haskell.

His Connection Next.  --Old Secesh

No comments: