The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, December 5, 2016

48th New York Infantry-- Part 1: A Fort Fisher Connection

From Wikipedia.

Lt.-Col. James Martin Green was an officer in the 48th New York when he was killed in the assault on Fort/Battery Wagner on Morris Island, guarding South Carolina on July 18, 1863, an attack made famous by the 54th Massachusetts, an all-black regiment, in the movie "Glory!"

I have been writing about James Green and the fort named after him on Folly Island, so decided to do some research into his regiment.

I found out that this regiment primarily operated along the Southern coasts and was at the Second Battle of Fort Fisher.  At the war was ending, the regiment was in my hometown of Goldsboro, N.C..

I'll have to make mention of the 48th New York in my Civil War Naval Blog.

--Old Secesh

No comments: