The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Elodie Todd in the Age of "Secession, Freedom, and Rights"


Letter from Elodie Todd to fiancee Nathaniel Dawson, May 9, 1861.

"Ever since I can remember, I have been looked upon and called the 'old maid' of the family, and Mother seemed to think I was to be depended on to take care of her when all the rest of her handsomer daughters left her, and I really believe they all think I am committing a sin to give a thought to any other than the arrangements they have made for me.

"But as this is the age when Secession, Freedom, and Rights are asserted, I am claiming mine and do not doubt but I shall succeed in obtaining them as I have some one to help me in my efforts."

Her life had definitely taken a major change from old maid supporting her mother to wife and her own family.

No Old Maid for Her.  --Old Secesh

No comments: