The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, January 17, 2020

Who Wrote This Letter? Did She Really Say That?


From the Civil War Times February 2018  "'I Do Not Think of Peace."

From Selma, Alabama, July 23, 1861:

"I see from today's paper Mrs. Lincoln is indignant at my Bro. David's being in Confederate service and declares 'that by nor word or act of hers should he escape punishment for his treason against her husband's government should he fall into their hands.'

"I do not believe she ever said it and if she did and meant it she is no longer a sister of mine nor deserves to be called a woman of nobleness and truth and God grant my noble and brave-hearted brother will never fall into their hands and have to suffer death twice over, and he could do nothing which could make me prouder of him than he is doing now, fighting for his country.

"What would she do to me, do you suppose?  I have as much to answer for.

"Elodie Todd"

--Old Secesh

No comments: