The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

General Beauregard


An item of interest from the 2008 Civil War Calendar.

PIERRE GUSTAVE TOUTANT DE BEAUREGARD-- Now there's quite a name. I sure would have hated to have signed the whole name all the time. No wonder we see it more often as P.G.T..

The calendar says he was born in Louisiana and was the first prominent Confederate general because of his defenses at Charleston, SC, Fort Sumter, and command at the First Battle of Bull Run a few months later.

Of interest, I was in the Wilmington cemetery looking for the graves of blockage-runner John Newland Maffitt and Gen. W.H.C. Whiting, when I came across a grave of Pierre Gustave Beauregard Walker. I though, hey, that's the name of a general. Upon further investigation, I saw he was born a few days after Fort Sumter. I guess his parents were quite impressed with the general.

I highly recommend this calendar. All sorts of interesting tidbits.

How Many of You Named a Child After a Civil War Personage? --Old B-Runner

No comments: