The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, May 5, 2008

The Confederate Flag Under Attack in Corpus Christi

On May 1st, Corpus Christi's (Tx) Kiii TV had a report on the Confederate flags that were placed on the graves of veterans as part of the Confederate Heritage Month at Old Bayview Cemetery.

The members of the nearby mostly-black St. Matthews Baptist Church had a problem with that. As one parishioner said, "I understand its part of history but not a history they want to remember. They are asking that the organization that placed them there take them down.

Kiii TV news was looking for the other side of the story since they didn't know who put them up.

LOOKS LIKE WE LOST THIS ONE

I see that they were put up by the local Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp and the flags were taken down Friday by Corpus Christi workers. The reason given was that some had been inappropriately put on non-Confederate graves.

This is a Sad Episode. If it Offends, Do Not Look. -- RoadDog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naw, y'all ain't lost unless you've given up and ran away...

I am SCV. However, in my position as a decended relative, I placed a 15 foot flagpole and 1956 Georgia flag in the middle of the plot of my Great Grandfathers gravesite. The plot is in the middle of an old cemetery off a main highway corridor, and 1/2 mile from the church that currently caretakes it.

For 4 years the only problems I had was replacing the worn and tattered flags every 6 months or so. Last year the flagpole was being taken down and flags removed every few weeks or so.

Turns out the caretaking church (white southern baptist) buried a member in the cemetery. 1 family member told the preacher he didn't want that flag flying during his loved one's service. The night before the service the preacher took it upon himself to go and pull up the pole and remove the flag.

Yes, he admitted as much to a former camp commander.

I replaced the pole 3 times and the flag 5 times, until I found out who was doing the thieving. The camp commander told me.

I went to that church one sunday, with a 56 flag in the back of my truck. I sat in the front pew with a picture of my GGrandfather and GGmother next to me during the service. I told a few parishiners of my problems of flag theft and by whom.

I joined the church group email and posted a few messages on the subject before I was kicked off.

I got a phonecall from the preacher a few days later and told him I could have him arrested for theft, grave robbing and desecration, and after saying I was not a Christian, he said he would not mess with the flag and pole again.

He hasn't.

I won.

In another example, a local area black church sits right next to the city cemetery, on land donated to them by a former Confederate Colonel. Every April stick flags are placed on the CSA Vets graves as they should be, without a single public complaint.

Corpus Christi SCV can win too. Be it lawsuit on the city flag grabbers or huge anti American Veteran publicity.