The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Who Said It?

This Date 1862-- President Lincoln established the US Department of Agriculture.


WHO SAID IT. I have the Civil War Daily Calendar. On April 9, 19/20 and 29th they had quotes. See if you can tell who said what.

QUOTE #1. April 9th-- "After four years of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the ____ __ _______ ______ has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources."


QUOTE #2. April 19/20-- "I cannot raise my hand against my birthplace, my home, my children."


QUOTE #3. April 29-- "WE feel that our cause is just and holy; we protest solemnly in the face of mankind that we desire peace at any sacrifice save that of honour and independence,...all we ask is to be let alone...."

Answers Below.








1. Robert E. Lee at the surrender

2. Robert E. Lee upon resigning his commission

3. Jefferson Davis, April 29, 1861