The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Some More on Lt. Walsh, Defender of Raleigh, NC

I went to the site of the 11th Texas Cavalry Re-enactment group to see if I could find out some more on Lt. Walsh, and perhaps even his first name.

They have quite a site with a large amount of information on all the companies. I went through each one and found no mention of a Lt. Walsh. I also sent an e-mail to the site and hopefully someone will get back to me on it.

I did see that Private H. K. Montgomery of Co. E died near Raleigh in April, 1865. Perhaps Walsh was with this group.


RALEIGH RAMBLES BLOG

The Raleigh Rambles blog by John Dancy Jones says he knows who the person is who puts the black sash on Walsh's grave, but won't tell other than he is "a beloved private historian who has performed rituals in the city cemetery and performed last rites for bridges quite out in the open for all these many years." Not quite sure what Jones meant about bridges though.

Jones also said that about a dozen people gathered at 4 pm April 13th to listen to the story of Lt. Walsh. Before that, they had a delicious bbq dinner and black eyed peas.

And the Mystery Continues. --Old B-Runner

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I appreciated your comment on Raleigh Rambles and I don't mind telling you, in answer to your wondering: my friend actually held a well-attended last rite for the Boylan Avenue bridge in Raleigh, a beautiful wooden bridge over a railroad wye which was replaced by concrete some years ago.