The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blue, Gray Remain Vivid in Chicago-- Part 2

"Yet, the Civil War's most enduring local legacy isn't found in bronze, limestone or asphalt. It's in the hearts of those who remain captivated by its battles, characters and timeless significance. Yes, those like me.

Robert I. Girardi, a Chicago homicide detective, has written or edited eight books on the conflict. He said his fascination began when his mother gave him the American Heritage Picture History of the War at age 4. That book spurred him to find out more. This book is a great one and helped "set the hook" in me as well. I particularly liked the battle maps with little soldiers.

By the time he was in high school, he knew enough to hold his own in arguments with an Alabama-born friend. (We all know Southerners generally are more interested in the war than Northerners.)

He went on to earn a Master's Degree in History (where he did his thesis on the role of railroads in the capture of Atlanta. He also led the Civil War Round table of Chicago (the nation's first Round Table). I belonged to it at one time. (I also majored in history as an undergrad and got my Masters in it.)

More to Come. --Old B-R'er

No comments: