The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Blue, Gray Remain Vivid in Chicago-- Part 3

C.J. Sorensen, a senior at Kaneland High School in Maple Park, Illinois, is just getting into the Civil War. (Someone had better warn him that this subject is extremely addictive.)

He had the usual high school introduction, but a spring break trip really hooked him. he and some classmates helped straighten gravestones at Fredericksburg, Va., and surveyed parking areas at Chancellorsville.

But, it was the trip to Gettysburg that pushed him over. Standing on Little Round Top, "It was breathtaking, thinking of all those Confederates coming up the hill. I could almost feel them."

(I myself got hooked at Fort Fisher back when I was in second grade.)

I like the way Mr. Keilman based his article on the war's impact on people today. He covered the major groups: historical lineage (Daughters of the Union), interest groups (Civil War Round Table of Chicago), writers, young people and people on a mission.

The War Lives On. --Old B-Runner

Still Not Finished.

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Great to see high school kids taking an interest. I've just started reading Richard Moes book on the 1st Minn. Volunteers. Very fascinating.

RoadDog said...

I always find the more personal side of the war to be the most interesting rather than such and such a regiment moved here at such and such a battle.

Plus, I like seeing young people getting turned on to the war.

In the Illinois Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, we have one young man who just graduated from high school and started his own SCV camp.

This is what I like to see. Otherwise, most of us buffs are getting a bit long in the years.