The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Researching the Civil War-- Part 2

MAY 6TH-- MONDAY

On May 6th, I spent the afternoon in the research library at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. I had wanted to find out what Illinois regiments were organized along the latter route of Route 66 during the war.

The librarian gave me a pamphlet put out by the Illinois Centennial Commission in 1962 which listed all Illinois regiments. Obviously, there were a lot of regiments raised in Cook County (Chicago), but every county along the route had at least one regiment composed primarily of companies from that county.

In addition, I also researched the Lake and McHenry county regiments (since I have lived in those two counties since 1975).

The library even has a multi-volume series on every Confederate soldier during the war. I researched both my family name and my mom's. I joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans based on her great-great grandfather.

Lots of Good Info in the Library. --Old B-Runner

No comments: