The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Yup, I Collected 'Em: Civil War Cards

I couldn't count the number of school lunches (25 cents) I missed back as a fifth grader in Greenville, NC, to plop down my nickel to buy a pack of those gory Civil War News cards (five and a piece of break-your-teeth hard, hard, really hard gum).

There was blood and guts all over that colorful front fronts and a short history blurb on the back. Just the thing for a ten-eleven year old Civil War nut. I eventually had all of them and even put some in my Civil War scrapbook.

I sure wish I knew what happened to most of them. And, not to sell them for money. Are they worth anything, anyway? I guess I'll have to check out e-Bay.

Maybe, someone should reprint the series in honor of the sesquicentennial. After all, back then it was the centennial. Folks might look strangely at a 60-year-old guy buying gum cards. No, these aren't baseball cards. I don't know most baseball players anymore, anyway.

Some History Next. --Old Secesh

No comments: