The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Doing My Civil War Thing: The Battle of Antietam

Yesterday, I drove the short distance from Hagerstown, Maryland, to Sharpsburg to visit the Antietam Battlefield.  I was not sure if I had been to it before, but now know for a fact that I had been. 

I went to the town of Sharpsburg first and drove all over looking for a place to get breakfast, but didn't find any on Main Street or just off it.  I did find breakfast being served at the Battle View Market.

It cost $4 a person to get into the museum.

I had originally planned to go to Gettysburg on the way to North Carolina, but this year is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam, which took place just two months earlier, September 17th.  Of course, the Union "victory" here enabled Lincoln to turn the whole course of the war and issue his Emancipation Proclamation.

A Great Side Trip.  --Old Secesh

No comments: