The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Civil War and Me-- Part 1

Over the next few weeks, I will be writing about the impact the Civil War had on my life.

I found this on the April 13th New York Times Opinion Page "My Civil War Centennial" by James Malanowski.

He said he was eight years old in 1961 at the time of the Centennial. I was almost ten. Like him, my parents took me to several Civil War battlefields during that time. Mr. Malanowski went to the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields.

He mentioned that he had the Blue and Gray miniature soldiers, collected the Civil War trading cards and watched Johnny Shiloh and Johnny Yuma on TV. I had the soldiers (and think I ended up with two sets). I forgot about the trading cards which came in packs with gum like baseball cards. I know I had all of them at one time, but have no idea what happened to them.

I remember watching Johnny Yuma ("Johnny Yuma was a Rebel, he wandered alone"), but don't remember Johnny Shiloh.

Bringing Back Some Memories. --Old B-Runner

3 comments:

Greg Taylor said...

Johnny Yuma was actually a TV show entitled "The Rebel" starring Nick Adams. I remember watching it as a kid, but don't remember how the "Rebel" aspect was integrated into the plot lines.

RoadDog said...

He had been a Confederate soldier in the war, but had gone out west after it.

Thanks for reminding me of the name.

Greg Taylor said...

BTW, I remember the song lyric as "Johnny Yuma was a rebel he roamed through the west."

I believe that Nick Adam, the star committed suicide.