The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Introduction to the Civil War All Those Years Ago-- Part 1

With the onset of the Civil War 150 years ago.

The Civil War Centennial Commemoration (1961-1965) had a huge impact on me.

I had just really become interested in the war three years earlier while in 2nd grade when my dad took me to Fort Fisher in North Carolina.

He said that we were on the side of the South. I had a hard time dealing with that concept. I knew from school that we lived in North America and North Carolina, and that there was also a South America and South Carolina.

As such, we had to be for the North.

It made perfect sense to a seven-year-old mind.

Poor Dad had a lot of 'splaining to do. He then got me a kid's book on the war and I read it. The more I read, the more I wanted to know.

More to Come. --Old B-Runner

No comments: