The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Civil War and Me: The Dome-- Part 4

I also remember picking up a brochure from the Virginia Centennial Commission back then which had had a round, domed building built for the commemoration in Richmond.

It was called the Centennial Dome and also the Virginia Centennial Center. This building looked huge and, even better, it was devoted entirely to the war. This was a place I really wanted to visit, but unfortunately, never was able to.

I didn't even know if it was still standing.

According to Wikipedia, it was designed by Walter Dorwin Teague and one of the most modern buildings ever built in Richmond. Opening in 1961, it served as the visitors center for Richmond's Civil War attractions including the Richmond National Battlefield Park and the Museum of the Confederacy.

After the Centennial, it served as the Jonah L. Larrick Student Center of the Medical College of Virginia Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University until 2007. I remember having to look up where VCU was when they made it to the NCAA's Final Four earlier this month. At least I knew VCU stood for Virginia Commonwealth. I just didn't know where it was, though.

Unfortunately, it was torn down May 2, 2008, (I don't remember reading about it, though) and replaced by the new university dining and recreation facility. I'm glad to see that most of the exhibits are now at the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in New Market, Virginia.

Guess I'll never get to the Dome. --Old B-R'er

No comments: