The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Civil War and Me: Trading Cards-- Part 3

While looking at the other peoples' memories of the Civil War Centennial, 1961-1965, I came across mention of Civil War Trading Cards. I had forgotten about these. I believe they were put out by the same folks who brought us baseball cards back them, Topps. And they came with a stick of brick-hard gum.

You got five cards for 5 cents. I collected all of them with lots of extras which I traded with pals. If I remember correctly, they were quite bloody with lots of gore. Just what a fifth grade boy would like.

I seem to remember one called "Massacre" with a Union soldier in the foreground, his mouth agape and with a musket and bayonet sticking in his chest.

I have no idea what happened to the collection. Perhaps my mom threw them out. Well. at least that's my story.

Broke Many a Tooth On That Gum. --Old B-Runner

No comments: