Friday, December 20, 2013

"Saw Horrors Enough for a Century:" Seven Days Battles-- Part 6

"I saw Lanty day before yesterday and Eugene yesterday. both well. I wish I could see you all. I sent Mary a relic from the battle field Tuesday by Willy. If Charley M. is with you tell him I am anxious to have him. //// Please lay out [$3.00?] in [letter?] for Cousin May & send it by Expr.(express). She is most kind and hospitable. I will send you the money in my next. //// Oh, please prepare me some rye for coffee, a good deal, there are six in my mess, I do so need something hot in the morning. I have not had coffee for months. //// Our breakfast this morning was baked bread and onions! I hear your rye is as good as other's coffee. //// let me know the expense, you know it comes out of six pockets. Please send this at once and by Express care C.A. Gwa?. Thank you much for your letter & Belle for her P.S. Does the latter ever write [to people?] //// My best love to Sister Sue & Nannie. //// I hope Pa is well again. How is Peggy. My love to her. I am important now & say unto people go and they goeth. Also my pay has been raised. that is I get $100 & my rations equal $125 or 130. Good bye. //// I so delight in C. Minor with me. I can & hope give him a much better pay that I promised him but I am not altogether certain. //// B. Lewis Blackford //// A Very Informative Letter. --Old secesh

No comments: