Saturday, March 22, 2014

Some More on Wisconsin's Camp Randall-- Part 1

Located on the grounds of the University of Wisconsin at Madison, named for Governor Alexander W. Randall. Occupied 45 acres from Union Avenue to Monroe Street between Breeze Terrace and Randall Avenue. //// The acreage was donated in 1861 by the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society (it had been the site of the Wisconsin State Fairgrounds) to the state to be used as a drill ground for Wisconsin troops. It became the main center for Wisconsin military training, //// More than 70,000 troops trained there from these regiments: 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 29th, 30th, 36th, 37th (part), 38th, 40th, 42nd, 46th and 49th. //// Berdan'sSharpshooters also departed from there. //// --Old Secesh

No comments: