Saturday, May 1, 2010

Naperville, Illinois, Civil War Cannon

A couple years ago, restoration took place in Naperville's Central Park of Civil War monuments located there. Among then were the DuPage County Centennial Marker, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, the Naperville Centennial Marker and a 964 pound iron cannon.

This cannon was manufactured in Rome, Georgia, in 1861 or 1862 and captured. In 1871, it was given to Naperville and used in 4th of July celebrations until 1909 when the City Council gave it to the Public Buildings and Grounds committee to work with the local Grand Army of the Republic post to mount it in concrete in Central Park.

Some Illinois Civil War History. --B-R

No comments: