The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Battle of Fort Myers, Florida

Since I was in Cape Coral, Florida, from the 3rd to yesterday, I got to wondering if the city of Ft. Myers got its name from a fort. It figures it would. It did. AND...there was a Civil War battle, of sorts, fought there.

The battle is sometimes also called the Civil War's Southernmost Battle.

I had never heard of a Battle of Ft. Myers. I knew that quite a bit of small-time blockade running took place along Florida's west coast, also, I was aware of this part of Florida, extending to Tampa, supplied quite a large number of cattle to Confederate forces and was so important of a food source, that an actual Confederate force called the "Cow Cavalry" was organized to protect them from Union raids.

This is what I already knew.

More to Come. --Old B-Runner

No comments: