The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Friday, January 16, 2015

Sheridan's Report of Battle of Cedar Creek-- Part 1

From the October 1864 Chicago Tribune.

GENERAL SHERIDAN'S DISPATCH

"To Lieutenant General Grant, City Point:

Cedar Creek, Oct 19-- 10 p.m.

I have the honor to report that my army at Cedar Creek was attacked this morning and my left was turned and driven in confusion.  In fact most of the line was driven in confusion, with the loss of twenty pieces of artillery.

I listened from Winchester, where I was on my return from Washington, and found the army between Middleton and Newton, having been driven back about four miles.  I here took the affair in hand and quickly united the corps and formed a compact line of battle in time to repulse the attack of the enemy, which was done handsomely at about one o'clock in the afternoon."

More to Come.  --Old Secesh

No comments: