The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Meanwhile in My Civil War Naval Blog, Running the Blockade: Shaw's Sword and the Junior Reserves and Confederate Conscription

The last week I have been writing about the discovery of Col. Robert Gould Shaw's sword in my Naval blog.  He, of course, was the commander of the famous 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, the Union Army's first black regiment who performed so honorably at Fort Wagner in Charleston Harbor in 1863.

He was killed leading his men and his sword taken and later returned  to his family and then "lost" for many years until being found in a family member's attic.

Even though he was leading an Army regiment, I am writing about his sword in my naval blog because it involved a coastal fortification.

Yesterday, I also posted about the North Carolina Junior Reserves and Confederate conscription in the naval blog.  Even though this is primarily an army thing, since the Junior reserves were at Fort Fisher, I am writing about it there.

--Old Secesh

No comments: