The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fort Fisher's Mrs. Lamb-- Part 2-- Now God Will Take Care of My Papa

Late in December 1864, Col. Lamb sent Daisy and the children across the Cape Fear River to Orton Plantation for safety as the Union fleet massed off shore of Fort Fisher. On Christmas Eve, Daisy, with a pair of high-powered binoculars, watched the Federal bombardment of her husband's fort.

Afterwards she wrote, in the midst of the awful roaring and thundering that her son, Dick, approached her. "Mama," he said. "I want to pray to God and for my papa." The child knelt down and "said his little earnest prayer; and feeling the better for it exclaimed, "Oh sister, I'm so glad! I'm so glad! Now God will keep care of my papa!"

They returned to their cottage, which had fallen into enemy hands during the first attack, but had been abandoned on their withdrawal. A short three weeks later, the family was again forced to Orton. This time, their husband and father was not so lucky. He was wounded, captured and sent north as a prisoner.

A Courageous Woman. --Old B-Runner

No comments: