The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Last US World War I Veteran Dies

Sorry to have to report that the last surviving US veteran of World War I, Frank Buckles of West Virginia, died February 27th at age 110.

He is the last man standing of more than 4.7 million who joined US forces and as such had been active in recent years in trying to get a World War I memorial in Washington, DC.

Two other veterans of Britain from the war still survive, one living in Australia and one in England. I had a great uncle as well as both grandfathers who were in World War I.

It was back in the 1950s that the last Civil War veterans died although there are still a few wives of veterans and real sons and daughters still living.

I have been covering Mr. Buckles quite a bit in my history blog at http://cootershistorything.blogspot.com. Just check out the labels.

The Closing of a Great Generation. --Old B-Runner

No comments: