The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

The 11th NC at Gettysburg-- Part 4: Couldn't Get to Shade Because of All the Dead and Wounded


ISAAC BYRUM, JR, CO. F-- Wounded in left leg at Gettysburg and captured   His leg was amputated. As related by his granddaughter, "It was a hot day. I tried to drag myself to some shade, but couldn't for all of the wounded and dead laying around.

"Flies were beginning to blow it, so I tore a piece of my shirt and wrapped the wound. It was about sundown when they, the Yanks, picked me up off the field.

"I thought they could have saved the leg if they had picked me up earlier."

As a POW, he was transferred to various prisons until he got to Point Lookout, Maryland. After being paroled and exchanged, he retired to the Invalid Corps on 2 June 1864.

His artificial leg can be seen at the Museum of the Albemarle in North Carolina.

One Confederate's Story. --Old Secesh

No comments: