The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Civil War Voices"-- Part 3: Starling V. Belcher, Joe Harris' Substitute

From Alabama  Troops site.

This man was just mentioned in he play, but I found some information on him.  At the end of the play, I believe Joe Harris said that Belcher had won a lot of money gambling at the end of the war and had been killed because of it.

Was in Company I and G.   Records show that he apparently was previously in the 46th Alabama, Co. E, enlisting March 20, 1862.  Discharge unknown.  Joined the 37th Alabama, July 20, 1862, at Columbus, Mississippi.

In his diary, July 20, 1862, Joe Harris noted: "Mr. Day came in this evening with a substitute for me (a Mr.m Belcher) give him $1500 to take my place for three years or the war had him examined  by surgeon he accepts him...."

Belcher was a teamster for most of 1862, 1863 and 1864.  He signed his parole at Vicksburg July 9, 1863 with an "x."  Furloughed Dec. 22, 1863.  Drove regimental wagons and received an extra 25 cents a day for extra duty.

I Didn't Know the Confederate Army Had Substitutes.  --Old Secesh

No comments: