The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Conversing at the Camp Butler Exhibit-- Part 2

As I said, I will have to go back to take notes about what is there in the future.  I see the Iles House is only open Wednesdays from noon to 4 and Saturdays from 10 to 4.

There were three Union re-enactors at the exhibit.  I spoke with the older one awhile.  He told me he was also a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) when I told him I was in town as a member of the Sons of Confederate (SCV) Veterans.

So, the sons of former enemies meet at an exhibit honoring both sides of the war.

The Illinois Division of the SCV dedicated a monument several years ago to honor the over 800 Confederates who died and are buried at the national cemetery at teh camp.

I was happy to hear that the membership of the SUVCW had increased and now numbers around 200, more than the SCV.  That is too bad as we were always quite happy to have MORE members than they did even though this is the Land of Lincoln.

If I remember correctly, they also have eight camps in the state as well.  Unfortunately, our membership has been dropping along with our camps.  We now have four active camps here in Illinois.

It's a Son Thing After All these Years.  --Old Secesh

No comments: