The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Monday, February 3, 2014

150 Years Ago: Battle of Smithfield, Virginia-- Part 1


I mentioned this on my February 1st post in my Civil War Navy Blog, Running the Blockade.

This battle took place February 1, 1864. I'd never heard of the Battle of Smithfield before (nor did I even know there was a town by that name in Virginia).

I found this article in the Jan. 31, 2014, Hampton Roads (Va.) Daily Press "Hampton Roads History: Cannon fire thunders down Main Street 150 years ago in fiery Battle of Smithfield" by Mark St. John Erickson.

During the Civil War, the Union ships blockading the Hampton Roads area were often fired on from shore while they patrolled. This battle was a result of those actions.

In late January 1864, the near-grounding of a Union vessel from these shots from the James River bank caused four gunboats, two armed Navy launches and detachments of infantry, cavalry and artillery to land at Smithfield and Chuckaluck on January 31st for a two-pronged sweep along the banks to help eliminate this Confederate practice.

More to Come. --Old Secesh

No comments: