The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

The I.O.O.F.: Independent Order of Odd Fellows

From Wikipedia.

George Cadman was buried in the Laurel IOOF Cemetery in Madisonville, Ohio.  I have occasionally come across the group called Independent Order of Odd Fellows in my research.  There is also a marker for the Odd fellows Home in Goldsboro, N.C. on Ashe Street by Herman Park.  It was my understanding they had something to do with orphans.

The IOOF started in England in the 18th century and was founded in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 28, 1819.  Two of their primary goals were to establish residences for senior members and orphaned children.

The Civil War shattered the IOOF in the United States.  Membership dropped tremendously and many lodges were unable to continue their work, especially in the southern states.

--Old Secesh

1 comment:

Gerty said...

Hi - I'm doing some research on George Hovey Cadman, and you are very knowledgeable on his history - can you help.? I have reason to believe he may have had a connection to 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery in 1861, although all my research tells me they weren't formed until 1863.... I have a personal item of his, which I believe to be original, and I'm trying to piece together his connection. I've established he joined 39th Ohio in 1862, and read all your other material - do you know anything about him in 1861?