The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Port Royal's Fort Walker Receives a Dynamite Gun

Well, I had never heard of a dynamite gun, so, of course, had to do some research. I'll write a little bit of what I found here, but will go into more detail on my history blog since this was post-Civil War.

A site called battery Dynamite was nearby to the old Confederate fort and in service from 1897 to 1902. In 1897, Congress appropriated money to purchase four experimental compressed air dynamite guns to be emplaced at four coastal installations. One was at Hilton Head.

A concrete battery was built outside of Fort Walker and from 1901 to 1902, the gun was inspected and tested before the whole program was discontinued.

I was unable to find out if any part of the battery remains.

Hurling Dynamite. Now, That's Nasty. --Old B-Runner

No comments: