The Battle of Fort Fisher, N.C.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fort Fisher's 146th Anniversary

From Jan. 16, 2011, News 14 Carolina TV.

This past Saturday a commemoration was held on the grounds of Fort Fisher State Historic Site in Kure Beach, NC.

I sure would like to attend one of these sometime, but that is well over a thousand miles away and too close to my wife's birthday, but perhaps I can be there for the 150th in 2015.

And, these people got to walk on the mounds, something I haven't been able to do in a long time. Back in the 60s and 70s I spent a lot of time walking them, but they are now off limits all of the time.

David Vinson was there with his two kids and said that his great-great grandfather and other family members fought at Fort Fisher.

Tour guide Ray Flowers said an estimated 20,000 cannon balls were fired at the fort in the two attacks and "it was virtually raining iron."

Another visitor, Cathy Schnegelberger added, "It's really surreal, it makes me feel really close to my family, and to come here and see some of the sacrifice that my grandfather gave and all that he went through is really special.

Someone was holding a Civil War era picture of a relative who fought at the fort.

Maybe Sometime. --Old B-Runner

No comments: